Host a French Exchange Student in 2017
Each year there are hundreds of students from around the world who choose to visit Australia. You can be a part of the experience by welcoming a French exchange student into your home. By opening your door and hearts to an international exchange student your family can:
• Make a lifelong link to a family in another country
• Learn about another culture
• Share the beauty of Australia and our culture
• Gain a new family member
• Contribute to International goodwill
• Develop a friendship that will last for many years
Here are some wonderful insights and reflections of the Hosting experience shared by three Macquarie College families.
Hosting a student from France is an experience that we would recommend. Our student was keen to integrate into our way of life and fitted in with our girls’ after school activities. She was a little hesitant with having to wear a uniform to school but after a couple of weeks (and definitely by the end) was pro-uniform and wished she had one back at her school in France! She spoke English very well, however was asking for us to correct her so she could improve even further. For our family the experience was one that drew us even closer as we all had to work together to accommodate having someone new in our home. Robbins family (Brooke year 8 and Megan year 5)
Our family has hosted two French students over the past couple of years. The experience for our family was fantastic. Our 4 children were able to learn about France, its culture, traditions and our students even cooked a French meal for the family. As a family we especially enjoyed the time we spent together visiting and exploring our local area with our students. I would highly recommend this experience to everyone. Thompson family (Ebony year 10, Mackenzie year 6)
We have hosted six exchange students over the past years and we find the exchange a very rewarding experience in a number of ways:
- Our family learns about another culture and language firsthand and it helps our family and the host student to see different ways of living and thinking through “new eyes”.
- We have developed lifelong friendships with some of the students – and intend to visit them when we go to France and Europe.
- Helps our daughter to better understand the increasing global nature of life in the modern world – including a broader perspective on the world, learning more about geography, communication and international cultures.
- It gives us the opportunity to show our student Newcastle, Australia, and our way of life, the ‘life of an Aussie teenager’ – including our school
We believe the exchange enriches our family life through a broader perspective of the world – as well as the opportunity to create a ‘friend’ in another country.
Hillyard family (Allegra year 10)
Please contact Madame Woolford on 49546222 or Email Madame if you are interested in this unique opportunity for your family or if you have any questions regarding hosting.